Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Neon Hitch - Gucci Gucci (Kreayshawn Cover)

British singer-songwriter Neon Hitch has a knack for crafting free-spirited dance-pop and a bohemian background to match even the most devout deadhead. The enigmatic singer spent most of her childhood as a trapeze artist, touring Europe in a wandering gypsy caravan. At 11, she found herself the subject of a BBC documentary and was later taken under the wing of Swedish singer-rapper-DJ Neneh Cherry. By 16, Hitch had gone off on her own, traveling and performing in India, and she later settled in London to hone her craft. After penning hits for Ke$ha, 3OH!3 and several others, she signed with former 'American Idol' judge Kara DioGuardi and is poised to become the world's least likely pop star. In an interview with Spinner, Hitch -- real name, no gimmick -- discussed coming to terms with her unusual childhood and finding a home in the music industry.
In This Photo: Neon HitchNeon Hitch attends Z100's Jingle Ball 2011, presented by Aeropostale Madison Square Garden on December 9, 2011 in New York City.(December 8, 2011 - Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images North America)
In This Photo: Neon HitchSinger Neon Hitch (R) and guest attend the Concept Korea Spring 2012 fashion show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts on September 9, 2011 in New York City.(September 8, 2011 - Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images North America)Neon Hitch Photostream»
In This Photo: Kara DioGuardi, Neon HitchSingers Neon Hitch and Kara DioGuardi arrives at the 4th Annual Logo's 'NewNowNext Awards' 2011 at Avalon on April 7, 2011 in Hollywood, California.(April 6, 2011 - Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America)
In This Photo: Neon Hitch, Travie McCoySingers Neon Hitch and Travie McCoy of Gym Class Heroes perform onstage during Z100's Jingle Ball 2011, presented by Aeropostale at Madison Square Garden on December 9, 2011 in New York City.(December 8, 2011 - Photo by Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images North America)Neon Hitch Photostream»We wanted to ask you about how you were inspired by your hometown and upbringing, but it's kind of hard to figure out where you came from.Well, what do you know?I know that you traveled a lot. I guess that's about it.Yeah, I grew up in a bus, traveled with various circuses and freak shows. I was a trapeze artist, and that was my dream. We just traveled the whole world, me and my mom and my little brothers and sisters. It was an adventure. Then I left home at 15 and carried on my adventure. I went to live in India on my own, and life has been a huge adventure up until now. I'm sure it's going to continue to be an adventure.We saw the BBC documentary. It's wild. Yeah. It wasn't planned or anything. I recently just pulled it out and showed my manager, and I was like, "Oh, you know I did this years ago, like I must have been about 11 or something?" And he was like, "Whoa, this is crazy! You have to show everyone." I think it's good, because a lot of people, they create these stories about themselves, because an artist has to be captivating, and what better way to tell my story than actually show it? So I was like, "Well, here's my story. This is me when I was 11, and I haven't changed at all."How do you grow up with such an alternative background and then fit into something that's so mainstream?That is something I can't even explain. I guess the only thing I can say is we never had electricity growing up. I didn't watch TV. I didn't go to school, because I never stayed anywhere long enough, so I was completely closed off from the outside world. I had no idea about anything. My dad bought me these two cassettes. He was like, "These are the two people you need to know about." Actually, it was three. It was Michael Jackson, Madonna and the Spice Girls. I became the hugest Spice Girls fan. I was like, "Whatever they're doing, I need to do."Did you want a normal life? Did you ever want to be just a normal girl?I don't know what that is, but I don't think I've ever been normal. I like to be wild, and I like to do wild, crazy things. I need excitement. At all times. Normal is not my type.So you never felt any jealousy for people that just have a very stable, average childhood?I don't know. I went through that phase where you're a young kid and you want to fit in. I would see these kids who had normal names, had a house they could invite their friends over, and I was like, "Mom, I hate you. Why did you call me Neon? I have the stupidest name ever!" At one time I wanted to change my name to Melanie, like from the Spice Girls. I was like, "I just want to be a normal person." But that was a tiny little phase, and then I was like, "You know what? You have to like who you are, whoever you are, and you have to own it." I went into the world like "Who am I, and what am I?" I can't try and be anything else, you know? I have to accept myself and accept my background and accept that I don't fit in. Luckily, I found something that works, where I don't have to fit in. The [music] industry is about not really fitting in. It's about being extraordinary, I think. Luckily, I found a home.Catch Neon Hitch's SXSW Sets on Thursday, March 17 at Habana Bar Backyard (708 E 6th St.) 9:45PM, and Thursday, March 17 at Dot Com Day Stage Austin Convention Center (500 E Cesar Chavez St. Exhibit Hall D) 4PM.3OH!3 feat. Neon Hitch - Follow me down (lyrics on screen)

No comments:

Post a Comment